Thursday, November 7, 2013

What Six Months Can Do

I was having a pity party for myself, well for us really, the other day. I was thinking that we all four work sooooo hard to heal and grow and sometimes it seems like we are getting nowhere fast.

The next day, I picked up a piece of mulch off of the carpet AND IT WAS REALLY MULCH! This is the first time in six months that that dark thing on the playroom floor or at the top of the steps has really been mulch and not some other shouldn't-be-touched-with-bare-hands type of thing. (I know...no need to discuss my six month and still failing learning curve on that one). So I thought: Maybe we HAVE all made progress. Maybe all this work is making a difference in the day to day and will translate to a difference in their future.

I needed proof though. I began to read the notes I took during May, the first month the kids were here. Our work has paid off and in black and white it was easy to see:

does not speak to others Does not shut up
several accidents a week Fully potty trained
has yet to interact with peers Yesterday, asked a friend "You sick yesterday?"
Can count to two ten
does not use words Uses three word sentences
does not engage in play Pretend plays babies and birthdays daily
Developmentally delayed on target
Failure toThrive Thriving

Hard Work + Resiliency = Progress 

No comments: