Friday, November 1, 2013

Traditions

I love traditions surrounding holidays. Halloween has a zillion, from carving the pumpkin to decorating some cookies to getting out all the old costumes and trying every single one on whomever they will fit.

But holidays kill me a teeny bit on the inside. Because these traditions are mine, not ours. Because next year, I won't know which of these kids was brave enough to touch the pulp of the pumpkin. I won't know who is tall enough to ring doorbells to trick or treat. I won't know who decided they liked passing out candy but who was still too scared. Instead, I'll likely be sharing the traditions with a new set of kids who may or may not touch the pulp, ring the doorbell or pass out candy.

Holidays are a reminder of the fluidity of our house. The comings and goings and in betweens that these little feet may or may not remember when they celebrate the same day next year.


No comments: