Sunday, February 5, 2012

Hold It!

Public service announcement to everyone who can't keep their opinions to themselves:

I think it is AOK for a four year old to be held.

I like holding all of my babies.  You know why?  For several reasons:
1. Little Sister holds my hand with one hand and my pony tail with the other when I hold her.
2. GG would like me to cradle her like a baby on a daily basis. I think she's a damn cute "baby."
3. Tiny now knows how to say: "hold me". How can I resist that?
4. Being held is a calming, soothing, "get my keel straight please" thing for Big. Why would I take that away from her?

But well-intentioned strangers, teachers, acquaintances, really..if you have children of your own, guess what? When they are 6 or 8 or 13, they aren't going to want you to hold them anymore.  Why not hold the 40 pounds while you can???

And what you may not know when you make your well-meaning comments to me is: I won't be able to hold these 40 pounds for much longer at all. Why would I not enjoy this? So please, dear stranger in Target, when I smile sweetly at you and say "Everyone loves a little holding, thank you for your concern." please know that I am thinking a completely different, not for 4 year old ears, message.

No comments: