Sunday, November 2, 2014

FIVE (things I love about Speed)

Speed turned five on Friday. It happened to be book character day at school so he dressed as...a five year old (from the book "It's Hard To Be Five"). He got spoiled at school with a birthday crown and cupcakes. We put the rest of the celebrating on hold till after Halloween. Yesterday, we had pizza and cake with some friends and Speed was very happy to be the center of attention.

This is the boy who was supposed to be here just a couple months. He's now here for good. I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around the idea that I will see numerous birthdays with this guy. When I am able to see the forest instead of the trees, I am amazed at how far he has come in not quite a year and a half.

Five things to love about Speed as a 4 year old:
5. Learned to take a shower with the curtain closed. This is viewed as a "treat" to him. And to me.
4. Loved dolls, dress up and strollers as much as any of the girls in the house. I watched a kid in my waiting room at work play with action figures recently. I thought "Speed would have no idea what to do with those toys!" But give the boy a pretend picnic basket and birthday cake and he can keep us all busy for a good long while.
3. Caught up in pre-reading and writing skills. Speed does not always like to accept responsibility for things but is very good about accepting responsibility as the person who wrote a letter on in an inappropriate place (pillow cases and bookshelves come to mind). I think this is because he knows he's the only one who knows how to do this.
2. Is going to be a Home Depot loiterer when he gets older. Four-year-old Speed was obsessed with lawn mowers, leaf blowers, tools, power tools, and weed wackers. I am looking forward to the day that I can actually let him use these things unsupervised.
1. Continues to have more compassion than I would ever expect. Speed loves all of the sisters but his seeming understanding about and acceptance of Junebug and her presence in our house always amazes me. He is the first to stick up for her, the first to give her hugs, and the first to make sure she is ok if she gets hurt or is sick.

Looking forward to another year (and more) with my speedy boy!

No comments: