Friday, December 27, 2013

A Note About The Sisters

I still see Big and Little Sister. They've moved far too far away now, but I am lucky enough to see them once a month when they come down, usually for a sleep over, and we chat on the phone or over the iPad when we can. I am still Mama to them. As I hope I will always be.

What's Big Sister up to?
She's in kindergarten and is about to turn six. She can read "can, me, my, I and and" if I write it on a drawing board and hold it up while we visit over Face Time.
She already has me pegged for being a clueless person regarding all things trendy, as would be evidenced by this conversation a while back:
"Mama, I want to be a Monsters High girl for Halloween."
--Oooh, that will be fun. Which one?
"You wouldn't know since you don't watch TV."

Big Sister is a tall giant suddenly. As she has since she was two, she broadens then stretches, then broadens, then stretches. She's still petite compared to her peers, but a giant around the current three.
She will still occasionally give the appropriate response to "Do I love you?" "Yes, My OH My!" and is still the gracious "Oh Thank you for thinking to...." girl she was when she moved out.

What's Little Sister up to?
Little Sister likes to sing me songs and show me 'nastics. She is particularly long-legged and can jump off the 4th step and land on her feet, which she thinks is the coolest thing.
Little Sister can still "read" most of Pout Pout Fish by heart.
According to Big Sister, Little Sister gets into EVERYTHING. Which may be true given the state of my chapstick after a recent visit.
She can spell her name, read 2 sight words and claims to be able to count to 50, though I haven't heard that yet.
When Little Sister comes, she gets a pile, and I mean PILE, of books, sits down on the playroom floor and asks me to read them all. Each time we talk on the iPad, I have to read a book or two, give a tour of the house, and put Stubby on camera for her to see.

Little Sister misses her Mama something fierce when we are not together, I am told. When she is sick or hurt or in trouble, ESPECIALLY in trouble, I am the one she wants. Her dad and I recently talked about how sad she gets at times and I wondered out loud if I should stop calling/Face Timing. If the distance was too hard on her. The answer I got was: "No. Call more. She is happy when she knows you are around."

So this is where we'll stay for now. Visits when we can, calls when we can, and a continually supportive bio family of this crazy arrangement.

No comments: