Sunday, September 23, 2012

Sisters, My Sisters

I got my wish. These little feet that walked out the door in March regularly walk back in.


In the most peculiar of relationships, we are a family still. "We" in this instance includes Big Sister, Little Sister, their parent and stepparent, their step siblings, occasionally a gramma or grampa, any kid that's currently in my house, and me.

People think it's a bit unusual that we all hang out together still, that I spend time with the sisters every other weekend, and that they occasionally spend the night. They still call me Mommy. Big still reminds me that I am the best mommy in the world, and Little still refuses to have her feet touch the ground when I am around.

I wholeheartedly agree. Peculiar is a word for it. But it's working for us all.

I am enjoying watching them grow still. Today, Little Sister is the exact age Big was when they arrived. It has been invaluable for me to see them flourish in a place that I didn't want them to go. And I think it has been nice for the girls and their family to have someone who can remind them of things that they did or said in the 15 months they were here. Like regularly wearing "leg warmers" aka "rainbow slinkies" on their legs.


Last weekend, I had all five kiddos. My new three and my old two. It was a whirlwind of 24 hours, but was so so fun. Looking forward to many more of these weekends.

No comments: