Friday, September 14, 2012

Freeze Frame

My kids are frozen in time. Tiny will always be an almost two-year-old, Glamour Girl, four. Kids from way back when, like the first blond brother or Miss Sassafras, will never be tweens or teens in my mind, even though they are by now.

What has me this week is that the new 5 year old's birthday is one day after Little Guy's. But when Little Guy left, he was three. Surely, he can't be five?

It's strange to think that the little quiet thing who followed me around watering plants, who merged into a noisy little thing who liked girly magazines, could now be playing legos and trying to ride a two wheeler.  In the same way, it's hard to envision that the current dude was once that small and maybe doing similar two year old things.

In another life, I'd like to have a reunion. Just me and 25 kids at their current age. They'd all sit around and talk about which was the favorite park that time or what their favorite Sea World show was and how many times their foster mother served them chicken nuggets or pbj for dinner. And I could just sit back, watching, thinking that I knew them when...