Sunday, October 11, 2009

Year Two

Yesterday marked two years of having a foster care license hanging on my wall. In two years I have likely missed a few movies on the big screen, a couple of marathons I would have liked to have schlepped my way through, many nights of solid, interruption free sleep and several ends to sentences. Instead though I celebrate the things I have gained: seeing first pinatas, birthday parties, days of school, trips to Sea World, ice cream floats...meeting a million members of this village who support this mission as much as I do...having the opportunity to PLAY in the swimming pool without someone thinking I am insane...teaching slug bug, thumb wars and jumprope rhymes...attending a birthday party for a cat because, when the life of a little one has had such upheaval, you know celebrating ANYTHING brings joy....and knowing twelve kids who have crossed through the green room's doorway to stay for as long as they needed.

Here's to the start of another year. Let's see what quirky kids with their own stories and adventures will come through the door, making my life so far from dull and so very, very rich.

No comments: