Monday, February 23, 2009

Toothbrushes

Baby Beignet and I played sidewalk chalk yesterday with the neighbor's 4 year old granddaughter. She had come before to play with Sass, and Sass and I had been to her house. "Where's Sass?" she asked as she drew a "coyote" on the sidewalk. I explained that she didn't live here anymore, that now Baby Beignet lives with me, that my house is just a "for a while" house, not a "forever" house, that Sass went to her "forever" house and one day Baby B will go to hers.

Despite all of my (over)explaining, neighbor girl was unconvinced. "Sass will come back. She still has a bed here." No, Beignet sleeps here now. "But she doesn't LIVE here." Sure she does, she sleeps here every night.

Neighbor stopped drawing for a second and looked up at me. "Well then, what color is her toothbrush?"

I don't think that was a test question, really, but it certainly came out as one. Neighbor girl was slightly less puzzled once she got the tour of the house and saw all of Sass's stuff gone and Beignet's stuff here. She has joined the ranks of the children we like to confuse!

No comments: