Tuesday, September 2, 2014

On The Decision To Continue Fostering: Part Two

(more from early June):
 
If another kid comes, it will impact our whole family. It's not just me in the mix anymore so I had to ask the kids.

The conversation started with some sort of (re)acknowledgement that alllll those kids on my bedroom wall have lived with me because they needed a safe home. We went on to talk about how the Sisters went back to their family. We talked about our friends who have been adopted and are staying forever in their homes. I reiterated a zillion and one times that we are a forever family and no one will take them away. I wondered out loud if it would be OK, if Ms. Caseworker ever called and said another kid needed to stay somewhere for a while, for us to say "yes" and let a kid live with us for a while.

Sunshine smiled and nodded her head. Speed thought for a minute and asked a few questions:
Will I still get my bed?
Will Sunshine still sleep in my room?
and then something to the effect of: Will we leave when they leave?

I answered. He thought. He approved. We are on "the list". We (read "I") have made it very clear to our placement agency what I think will work with this crew. Time will tell what happens. If we do this once, and it doesn't work out, we've tried. If we do it more and it feels right, we'll help more kids.

No comments: