Tuesday, June 24, 2014

In Walks Number Four

The kids woke up to "a new friend" on Saturday morning.  They were actually awake for the initial phone call so were able to "approve" the placement of a 19 month old that night. They, lucky them, got to sleep through the numerous phone calls after that to figure out when she was coming, what she would need (medically) immediately upon arrival, etc. etc. etc.

Here they are peeking in on our newest family member:


So far, all is going well. Speed LOVES this child. He follows her, dotes on her, tries to put her shoes on and would likely change her diaper if I let him. Sunshine goes back and forth between being interested and engaging with her or playing like she usually does. I think her favorite thing so far is getting to ride in the third row of the car. Chickadee's world has not yet been rocked quite as much as it could be. She's still being held plenty, loved on as always, and ruling the roost in a way I hate to admit she does.

A couple things amaze me with the kids' reaction to this placement. First, they've been here for almost 14 months and have never woken up to a new kid in the house. They acted like it was no big deal. Second, they have so much compassion toward her, more than I feel I have ever modeled. And given the first part of their lives, I am just not sure where that all comes from.


No comments: