Sunday, April 6, 2014

The Adoption Party

We went to an adoption party for a dear friend yesterday. I spent all week rehearsing in my mind how I would address with the kids what the purpose of this party was. There were presents, but no candles and no one singing Happy Birthday.

In the end, they didn't ask. Sunshine said, "We going to Coco's birthday?" and I replied with "It's not her birthday, it's an adoption party." That was as far as I had to go.

The great thing about the party (aside from the obvious!) was that all three kids moved more than 10 feet from me. They interacted with other kids. Speed actually asked another grown up whom he'd never before met for some help with the bubbles.

I lose perspective. I lose the forest for the trees. Coco, who had not seen the kids in at least six months, was able to see (and tell me, thank you) that they looked and acted different and HOW they looked and acted different.

It was a good, good day!

No comments: