Friday, April 4, 2014

One Way to Look at Us

A conversation today with a 9th grade student who is absolutely obsessed with TV and knows two, and only two, things about me--that I do not watch TV and that I have "small" children--went something like this:

Him: Have you seen Breaking Bad?
Me: No, remember, I don't watch TV. Tell me about it.
Him: I will but do you mean you don't EVER watch TV?
Me: No.
Him: How about your kids?
Me: My kids are small. They don't watch TV either.
Him: What do you do?
Me: What do you mean? We play.
Him: No, I mean, every single day what do you do instead of watch TV?
Me: I dunno. We keep busy. Last night, we got home, the kids played in the playroom while I cooked dinner, we ate, we walked to the mailbox and played in the field. Then we saw a neighbor and visited with her and then it was bedtime so we read stories and went to bed.
Him: Your family is like....like how do you say it?...Like the PERFECT ALL-AMERICAN TRADITIONAL family. That's cool.

He said that, and I pictured my 3 babies, the condition they were in almost 11 months ago, and where we are today both in progress and in work still to address.  I thought that anyone who looks at us walking down the street knows we are far from traditional and that the point in the kids' case where we are today is anything but a perfect place to be. I smiled and thanked him for the compliment.

We are perfectly imperfect.

No comments: