Monday, August 5, 2013

And the Conversation Went Something Like This

"I need to tell you something. Remember the day you came here? People wanted you to have a safe place to live and play?"

Nod.

"Miss Caseworker, Miss Attorney and Mr. Judge have decided that it's time for you to go to a new house."

Two-year-old wanders off here.

"Tomorrow will be your last day of school."

Two-year-old is back.

"After that, we will put your jammies and toothbrush and clothes and swim trunks and books and toys into a bag. On Wednesday, Miss Caseworker will come to drive you to New Person's house."

Someone scoots closer. Someone else is on my lap now.

"You will have a new bed and new school. We will say good-bye and I will miss you so much."

-What you gonna do when we go? You gonna eat lunch?

"Yes, I will eat and work and take care of Stubby, but New Person will take care of you."

-You be sad?

"Yes. I will miss you."

-I gonna miss you too.

And then he turned, thinking I couldn't see, and wiped tears from his eyes.

-Let's go mailbox, Mommy Tammy.

"Alright, Buddy. Get your shoes."

And as smoothly as that, I have pulled the rug that is security out from under their feet.

No comments: