Tuesday, July 20, 2010

FAQ #2

With each new kid, more people in our lives get curious and start asking questions. This week's top question, triggered in part by the 2 newish arrivals and in part by how darn cute all 3 of these kids are, is "Don't you get attached?"

The short, pat answer to THIS one would be the very obvious: YES!

How could I NOT get attached to a 2 1/2 year old who sings along to the Glee soundtrack in the back of the car, who holds his baby foster sister's hand in the car, who randomly comes up to me and asks me to BEEP? (his nose).

How could I NOT get attached to the 3 1/2 year old who sings Puff the Magic Dragon with a very thick accent, who sneaks up behind me every single time I am cooking to yell BOO!, and whose first English words have been: Thank you. and I love you, Mommy.

How could I NOT get attached to the "baby" who waves bye bye to anyone who passes by while she is in the shopping cart, who runs up and down the hall with a slapslapslap of feet because her feet are so flat, who puts on her own clothing by wearing pants and shirts on her arm as if they were purses.

This is the part of foster care to treasure. The daily ins and outs that yes, make everyone in this house love each other and attach. It's the part that lets me ignore the end of the story.

No comments: