Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Benefits of Literacy

Sass was horsing around at the dinner table the other night. She hunkered down with the bent over back of an old woman and declared: I am goin' out PIMPIN' tonight!

I am sure my face said it all. Little Bit sat chomping her green beans, her black eyes watching us carefully. "Sass," I said in my attempting to be calm but probably not succeeding voice, "that is not a nice word. Please don't say it again." "Well, what does it mean?" "It's just not nice." "If you tell me what it means, I will UNDERSTAND that it is not nice." Hmmm, she had a point there. I looked at Little Bit, trying to figure out how to explain something to an almost eight year old that a four year old shouldn't hear. "Well," I started as Bit stopped mid-chomp to listen, "it's when you ask someone to pay you for S-E-X." "Ohhhhhhhhhh!" Sass said, as if completely understanding that very vague meaning. And then a very excited: "Oh!! I am so glad I can SPELL!!"

No comments: