Sunday, October 30, 2016

Speed is SEVEN!

(or will be in a couple hours, at least)

We celebrated Speed today in our cul-de-sac. We pulled every single item with wheels out of our garage, had some friends come over, beat up a mummy pinata, and wrapped each other up in toilet paper as mummies. Speed chose a lemon cake and hot cheetos as a snack. His gifts were reflective of him getting older....pokemon, legos, chapter books. Tomorrow, he will celebrate with his class in the morning and by trick or treating in the evening.

Things to love about Speed as a 6 year old:

Speed is a fashion guy. Only his sense of fashion is really very different from anyone else's. Today, he came downstairs dressed for his party in a striped shirt and plaid shorts. Most days, he wears athletic shorts and a t-shirt, which one would think one could not UNmatch, but ooohhhh trust me, you can.

Speed is straddling that point in time where a kid gives up the little kid stuff and trades it in for the big kid toys. We can still play hairdresser and baby dolls and Little People with him from time to time, but a lot of days he'd rather be drawing or throwing a ball or building with legos.

I'm hopeful that I will be able to say this every year (because I've said it every year for the past 3): Speed is the BEST HELPER in the world. He and Sunshine often assure me that when they are old enough, they will let me lay on the couch while they do everything for me. He is my trash and recycling guy, folds and puts away his own laundry, helps unload and load the dishwasher and CANNOT wait for the day when I let him vacuum.

Any trouble Speed gets in at school is because he is too social. And I will take this fact over the other reasons you could get in trouble (or have before) any day. Speed has a couple best friends, but he is friends to everyone at school.

Speed prides himself in all the sporty things he has learned in the past year. His favorite things may be that he can ride his bike (briefly) with no hands and that he can stand like a flamingo on  his scooter while it's moving.

So grateful to watch this boy grow.

I love you, Buddy. Happy Birthday!

No comments: