Saturday, September 10, 2016

Our School Year So Far

We have all mostly settled into the school routine after three weeks of school.

Speed has made some good friends so far and started soccer today. He is a natural on the field. I heard some dad saying that Speed "has quite the hat trick". Not knowing a thing about soccer, I have no idea what that trick might be.

Sunshine has a great teacher who moves at just the right pace for our girl. They did science experiments this week and Sunshine recapped them every night. She has started gymnastics after school and has her feet in the air more than on the floor, I think.

Chickadee has a couple tough kids in her class and rats them out at the dinner table every night. Though the other night, she was talking about the progress one friend had made and said: "I was just so impressed with her!" Chickadee is WORN OUT from her day and is not a happy camper at night but I am confident she will adjust. She is starting dance again this week, so I am sure we will be playing ballet for hours on end after Monday's first class.

The best thing about the year for me is that although I say goodbye to my kids at 7:30 a.m., I can see them throughout the day. I get at least one or two hugs a day while I am walking in the hallway. The other day I was walking with a student in the hall and Speed ran up to give me a kiss. The student looked like he had just witnessed quite the scandal. I said: "That's my son." He sighed a big sigh and said: "Good! Because I was wondering why a teacher would be kissing on a student!" :)

We ride our bikes and pull a wagon to school most days. I have put fewer miles on my car in two weeks than I did on an average day last year. Admittedly, I sort of MISS hearing all the Veggie Tales songs in the car.

And we are still trying to figure out our role, if any, in the fostering world. The campus daycare is on board for any kid that might come, our agency is willing to give us a bit more time of being "inactive" before we have to make a move, and in the meantime, I've found a way to volunteer as a Foster Parent Mentor once a month.

Life is good.

No comments: