Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Sunshine's Locs

regarding the seven views of Frozen....

This is actually the celebratory "we are finished" viewing of Frozen.

In May, Sunshine and I started learning about locking her hair. Putting locs in one's hair takes a TON of time but the end result is beautiful. With the help of a consultant and many, many movies, I locked Sunshine's hair over a 3 week period. She sat oh-so-patiently in her chair while I put each loc in. They are tedious...each one took around 10 minutes with the first two taking over 15 minutes each (side note: I had to pick those two out eventually because they were soooo bad compared to the rest).

Here is the picture of her head when I naively thought I was about 2/3 finished:
Rows and rows and rows. In reality, this picture was probably taken when I was about 1/4 complete.

Here is the end result:
Sunshine LOVES her hair. There are 217 locs in her hair and for a good long while, we will be babying the heck out of them. In the end, they will "lock" on the ends (think of dread locs) and they will be very low maintenance. Sunshine is enjoying her wide variety of headbands. She has just this week, about 1 1/2 weeks since we finished, gotten tired of people looking, examining and asking.

Here is a picture of the girls watching a youtube video sent to us by the consultant on how to wash the locs for the first time. 
Chickadee is ready for her locs now, but I am not ready to do more. We will wait to see how things go with Sunshine's and lock Chickadee up in another summer or two.

No comments: