Monday, May 30, 2016

Our CASA volunteer

I ran into our CASA volunteer last week. While we have swapped a few texts here and there, I hadn't seen her since our adoption ceremony 1 1/2 years ago.

I am not sure I can put into words how meaningful it was for me to have the opportunity to see her again. This is someone who impacted our lives so very much. She played a large part in changing the trajectory of the kids' lives. She put hours, HOURS, into the kids' case and came to know our little family quite well.

I value this person so much. If I could tell her thank you every single day, I would. I know I do in my head.

I haven't yet read the details of the kids' case that I wasn't made aware of over the course of their time in foster care. We had some pretty hush hush rule followers on the case (not always true), so there are gaps in what I know. I have a CD in my house that will give me that information, but I haven't looked at it yet. I appreciate that our CASA is that bridge of knowledge between the kids' "before" life and their "current" life.

As a most random aside regarding this CASA, two things:
1. For our adoption party, our volunteer brought over fruit salad and plastic ware. Brand new plastic ware that she took the time to wash ahead of time. Every time I eat off of one of these spoons or forks, I think of her.

2. I must've been getting judgy or nosy early in the kids' case...it was definitely before they left the first time. This is what our CASA told me: "My mother always says 'worry about what is happening on your side of the street.'"

Why on earth do I remember that so well when I can't remember what I wore yesterday?

Thank you, dear CASA. We are forever grateful for you.

No comments: