Friday, September 11, 2015

Speaking of School


I went to back to school night the other night without kids. I passed the principal, who unfortunately knows us all too well. She says: "So far, so good! right?"

Not sure that was a compliment, but whatever.

Short answer: Yes. So far, so good.

We are all off to a good start.

Speed is enjoying kindergarten and all the "big kid" responsibilities that come with it, like a daily planner and saying the pledge in the cafeteria before going to class in the morning.

Sunshine is in her glory in pre-k. She has the same teacher that Speed had last year so has been comfortable there from day one. Academics come easy for Sunshine so this is a nice opportunity to shine. (As an aside, I am amazed at the information I get about pre-k this year vs. last year. Boy vs. girl? Difference in language skills? Difference in personalities and desire to share? Who knows, but boy! What a difference!)

Chickadee and Eagle are still at their "hole in the wall but we love it anyway" daycare. Chickadee now brings her backpack and water bottle to school every day so she can be like the big kids.

And me? I changed jobs recently and am in a school myself. I may be the one having the hardest time adjusting...after nine and a half years at my previous job, I have different colleagues, work with a different population as far as needs go, and have a very different (very full-time, very not flexible) schedule that requires me to shop at HEB with four kids in tow every single Saturday morning. Every time I wonder why I made such a change, I think of next summer, when we can be footloose and fancy free for days on end.

No comments: