Thursday, September 19, 2013

The Ten Commandments...

...of surviving in a single-parent foster home:

I. Thou shalt put on thy own shoes.
I will buy you velcro shoes. Or slip ons. I will watch you put them on in the middle of the aisle at Target. I will even purchase them within 12 hours of your arrival just so you can fulfill this commandment. Immediately.

II. Thou shalt buckle thy own car seat.
If you are one, you are exempt. If you are two, you just have to do the top straps. If you are three or older, I will wait as you learn.

III. Thou shalt hold my hand.
Or my finger, thumb, belt loop, waistband, shirt tail or elbow when crossing the street or parking lot.

IV. Thou shalt take a daily nap.
I will pat you down till the end of day just to get that hour of silence.

V. And go to bed on time.
Dishes await. Thou are permitted to break this rule by asking to play hide and seek at the last minute or by pleading for another book. Especially one of my faves.

VI. Thou shalt bathe thyself.
I am confident that your 2 year old hands can reach your own back and that any missed dirt will be caught on the next go round.  Besides, I bought the crazy, foamy soap just for you.

VII. Thou shalt walk, walk, walk.
Don't get me wrong. I love, love, love to hold and carry you. But only one of you at a time. Unless absolutely necessary. Then two. But never three at a time. I'll slow my pace for you though.

VIII. Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's two parent home.
I get it. You did not ask to be placed in a home where you get 1/2 the attention you would maybe get in a 2 parent home. I'll do my best to make it up. I promise.

IX. Thou shalt not ask another grown-up for something when I just said NO.
I'm still the Mommy.

X. Thou shalt know in thy heart that you are my world.
...that I will give you as much attention, nurturing and babying that I possibly can despite the one parent on three kids aspect of our family, and that we are a team till you walk out the door. Again.

No comments: