Sunday, June 20, 2010

A Sense of Accomplishment

My shadow (who hopefully will one day NOT be my shadow and will therefore have a name of his own) has learned many more English words this week. His favorite for now is "I DID IT." said as all one word. It started appropriately while buckling himself in his car seat. It even transferred appropriately to other contexts like taking off his shirt by himself or filling his diaper. He hasn't quite mastered what it's for though because he's using it for subjects other than himself. So, when Stubby jumped into the windowsill, his whiskers moved back in surprise at the very loud: I DID IT! And the shadow hasn't yet figured out that something like I did it! is only appropriate in such an excited manner when you should be PROUD of the accomplishment. Not, say, when you have just dumped all the toys onto the floor or spilled your milk.

No comments: